02 February 2016

Miscellaneous Musing #77

I’ve recently found that, rather than dislike a person, it’s both more prudent and more charitable to try to dislike only qualities or behaviors of that person.  Hardly anyone completely lacks positive (or negative) character traits, and so my new policy makes it easier to have a good relationship with someone who is not likable overall. (This attitude can be applied even toward an entire ethnic or religious group, as I had already done unknowingly in the last sentence of I Slam Islam?.) If, here at the Doman Domain, I still refer to someone in terms that imply whole disapproval, I’ll do so only for the sake of simplicity in treating of persons whose negative attributes greatly outweigh or outnumber the positive ones (or simply because old habits are hard to quit).